On 6-7 June Retrograd, a Ukrainian club of classic cars will held its annual rally in the city of Kharkiv. For this occassion, the club managed to convince the Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University to lend one of its historic cars, the Hadi-2.
Hadi-2 was built in 1959-1961 by students of the University. It is a 4.2-meter long roadster with a doorless body which was made from fibreglass. It was originally powered by a Moskwitch 412 engine with 75 hp which enabled the lightweight car to have a max speed of 150 km/h. When the car was restored in the 2000s it received a new, hybrid powetrain consisting of an M-72 motorcycle engine and an electric motor.
Hadi-2 was shown all over the Soviet Union in 1962 and 1963. The experiments with fibreglass resulted in the production of a plastic-bodied minibus in the Soviet Union, the Start. That will be the subject of another blog post in the not so distant future 🙂
You can find a gallery of a visit by a local guy to the University’s museum here.